Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Dish | Easy Oven Roasted Chicken

I love cooking, especially on the weekends when I have more time and can enjoy a glass of wine during the cooking process. This past Saturday I wanted a nice home cooked meal but without all of the hassle. I remembered a dish my Dad used to cook that was simple and the best part was you really only got one pan dirty! The Boyfriend loved it and I got to relax while it was cooking so it's obviously a keeper!








Ingredients
(1) Package of Bone in Chicken Breasts (You can use Chicken thighs too)
(1) Red Pepper
(1) Small Yellow Onion
(2) Cups of Baby Carrots
(1) 5 Ounce Can of Diced Tomatoes
(2) Cloves of Garlic
(1) Can Low Sodium Chicken Broth
Creole Seasoning ( I use Tony Chaceres)


Pre Heat the oven to 270 degrees. 
Season Chicken on both sides with Creole Seasoning- I leave the skin on the chicken but it does not really make a difference if you don't like it and want to remove it. Place Seasoned Chicken in a baking dish, I use a lot of the creole seasoning because it adds a little kick to the chicken! Dice up the onion, red pepper and garlic and put it in the same pan as the chicken. Put the carrots in the dish and pour the diced tomatoes with the juice over everything, coating evenly. Next pour in the entire can of chicken broth, also making sure to coat evenly.
Cover the dish with either tin foil or the glass dish cover and place in the oven- let cook for 2 hours. Usually for the last 30 minutes I remove the top and let everything crispy up slightly.
Once the 2 hours is almost up remove some of the liquid that the chicken has been cooking with and place in a sauce pan.  Let the "broth" heat up on the stove top while you make a rue (butter mixed with flour) add the rue to the broth and bring to a boil. The more the liquid boils the more it thickens, creating a delicious gravy to smother your chicken in!
Once the gravy is done the chicken is all ready to serve. I usually serve mine over egg noodles but I wasn't in the mood for that so I served it over Parmesan smashed potatoes and it was just as good!!

Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment