Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

Dish | Mom's Pasta Recipe

This past Saturday I was in the mood for some comfort food so I decided to make my Mom's favorite pasta...or as she fondly calls it "Goshy pasta". If you're looking for a healthy meal then I would go ahead and close this page! However, if you're looking for the perfect rainy night, comfort food then see below!














Ingredients
Johnsonville Hot Italian Sausage
Heavy Whipping Cream
(1) Onion
(1) Cup White Wine
Salt
Pepper
Penne Pasta
Parmesan Cheese

I start off by dicing the onion and sauteing it until it's transparent, I then set that aside so I can brown the sausage (Don't forget to take off the casings before doing so!) Once the sausage is browned, use a colander to drain the grease and I usually wash the pan that I cooked the sausage in as well. Next combine the sausage, sauteed onions and (1) cup of white wine in a pan. I let the wine simmer a little bit before turning the heat off and letting the mixture sit in the wine for 20 or 30 minutes so it can soak some of it up!
Now comes the fattening but oh so good part! Pour (1) small container of Heavy Whipping Cream into the white wine mixture making sure to stir constantly so that the sauce will begin to thicken. When my mom makes this dish she constantly stirs so that the sauce will thicken itself, I haven't quite learned the patience needed to stir for this long so I usually take 1 TBSP of butter and mix it with 1 TBSP of flour to create a rue. This generally speeds up the process a little!
While your sauce is thickening bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. When the water does boil, add your penne pasta and cook according to the pasta instructions or until it is al dente. When pasta is almost done cooking reserve about 1/2 cup of water and then drain.
Mix the sausage, sauce, and pasta together in one bowl adding the pasta water until everything is evenly coated! Serve pasta with salt and pepper to taste, topped with Parmesan cheese.
It may not be the healthiest meal but it's so good I always come back for seconds!

Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment