Pages

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Dish | Empanadas

In honor of Cinco De Mayo I decided to make empanada's! Growing up my mom use to make these during the week and I LOVED them! She would always make comments about how much of a pain they were and how messy they made the kitchen but I think half of the fun is the mess!
Enjoy!








Ingredients
Ground Turkey
Spicy Italian Sausage
A Small Can of Tomato Sauce
Tomato Paste
Mexican Cheese
Onion
Pillsbury Grands! Biscuits

Pre-Heat oven to 350
In a large sauce pan saute the onions until they are transparent and set aside. Once this is done brown the ground turkey and Italian Sausage together (I usually cut up the sausage as it cooks). After the meat is finished cooking drain the pan of any fat that may have cooked out and return to the stove top. Pour in the small can of Tomato Paste and mix thoroughly. After this is mixed pour in the the tomato sauce slowly, I don't like my empanadas to have a huge amount of sauce in them, just enough to coat everything so use your best judgement when pouring the sauce! Next combine the onions with the meat mixture and set everything aside!
Now comes the fun part!! Pour a small amount of flour onto the counter while taking out one of the Pillsbury biscuits and start working the dough! I usually pull the dough until it is approximately the size of my hand then I place the biscuit on top of the counter and put my rolling pin to work (I also coat the rolling pin in some flour so it does not stick to the dough). Roll the biscuit out until it is large enough to fold over evenly but not to thin that it will break. Now your ready to stuff your empanada!
I put a decent amount in each of mine, because I like them to be a little fatter then most, I'd say about a cup per biscuit. Then sprinkle some cheese on top of the meat mixture and fold the dough over, I wet the edges of the dough so that they will stick to one another and press your fingers firmly around the edge to close the pocket!
Bake empanada's in pre-heated oven for 12-15 minutes or until they are golden brown. Allow to cool a little before serving, top with sour cream and salsa and enjoy!

Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment