Pages

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Dish| Short Ribs

To me New Years Eve meant a nice meal paired with great friends! When I was younger my dad always made delicious and elaborate meals for New Year's Eve! With that being said I couldn't let him down and not follow in his footsteps could I?! 
With the boyfriend 400 miles away the last thing I wanted to do last night was spend the night out with all my couple friends (sorry guys but 3rd wheel was not my idea of a goodnight! Still love y'all!). I got home put my pjs on and poured myself a glass of wine all the while thinking that nothing would be more perfect then some slow cooked short ribs. I know, I know for one person it's kinda sad  but come on guys who wouldn't want short ribs if they were an option?! 
So here it is my recipe for short ribs, ahhh glorious short ribs!  

Preheat oven to 325

Ingredients
Chuck roast ( that's the secret my friends! Short ribs are too pricey for this gal!)
Red onion
2 whole carrots
2 cloves garlic
2 bay leafs
Italian seasoning
1tbsp of soy sauce
1/2 tbsp of balsamic vinaigrette 
2 cups white or red wine
Vegetable stock
Flour 
Butter

Start by cutting the chuck roast into 3 or 4' sections, season with salt and pepper and sear on stove top in Dutch oven (just learned this is the same as a regular pot). When I say sear I mean a brownish finish in a very hot pan. VERY IMPORTANT make sure you dry the meat before searing. This is the most important step in any slow cooked meal. This step gives us more flavor!! 
While the meat is searing dice up your onion, carrots and garlic. 
When the meat is browned put aside and keep warm. Put onions and carrots in the same pan you just used ( you do not clean the pan). You may have to add a little oil if there is not much oil left from the meat in the pan. If there's too much oil from searing soak some of it up with a paper towel. Be very careful and leave as much of the tasty meat droppings as you can! Brown the onions and carrots on medium heat, wait a few minutes and add garlic. Be careful not to brown the garlic too much as it become bitter when burned! 
While they are browning add 1 tbsp of flour around the pan and continue browning and mixing flour. Add soy sauce, balsamic, wine and let simmer until reduced by 1/2.
When it's done reducing add the meat back to the pan and pour in your vegetable stock, only enough to cover the beef. Put your cover on and let cook for 2 1/2 hours until meat is fork tender ( not falling to pieces). 
After the time has elapsed remove the meat from the stock and keep warm. Put stock and wine mixture on oven top and cook down until thickened. You may have to add a butter and flour mixture to thicken! Use your best judgement! 
Put the meat back into the pan and put back into the oven for 30 minutes until browned. You do not cover the pan for this step. 
When it is done feel free to serve over egg noodles, rice mashed potholes, grits are good too! I personally served mine over some risotto and the result was magnificent!!

You really can't beat this meal!! 

As for me this is what I'm doing with the rest of my New Year's Eve!! Cheers to 2014 and mangia!







No comments:

Post a Comment