Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Dish | Chicken and White Bean Enchilada's

There is nothing I love more then Mexican food! So when I stumbled upon this recipe from Skinny Taste I knew I had to try them! I tweaked the recipe a little bit to my liking and I think they came out pretty good. Not only were they filling, they had just the right amount of kick, and the best part...they're good for you!








Ingredients
For the Filling-
Half of a Large Yellow Onion (Diced)
(2) Cloves of Garlic
1 TBSP Of Olive Oil
(1) 4.5 oz. Can of Chopped Green Chili's 
15.5 oz. Can of Navy Beans
Shredded Chicken ( I bought a rotisserie chicken from the store and shredded the chicken from that)
1/3 Cup of Water
(1) Chicken Bullion Cube
(1) TSP Of Cumin
(1) TSP of Paprika
(1) TSP of Chili Powder

For the Sauce-
(1) TBSP of Butter
The Other Half of the Yellow Onion (Diced)
(2) TBSP of Flour
(1) Cup Fat Free Chicken Broth
(7) oz Can of Chopped Green Chili's
Salt
(1/2) Cup of Light Sour Cream
(7) Whole Wheat Tortilla's

Directions
Start by Pre- Heating the oven to 375 Degrees

For the Filling-
In a Medium Pan Saute the Onions and Garlic until they are translucent. Add the Green Chili's, Beans, Water, Bullion Cube, Cumin, Paprika and Chili Powder. Mix Well, Cover and Simmer on Low for 15 Minutes. After 15 Minutes Add the Shredded Chicken and Stir Until Thoroughly Coated.

For the Sauce-
Saute the Onions in the Butter until soft, add the Flour and Stir Until Smooth. I Think I stirred for about a minute or two, until everything was well combined. Next I stirred in the cup of chicken broth, continuing to stir until everything is smooth and thoroughly mixed. Cook until the sauce begins to boil then add the green chili's and salt. Remove from heat and add the sour cream, again make sure that everything is completely mixed together.

Spread about half of the sauce onto the bottom of the dish. Fill each tortilla with about a half a cup ( I like mine bursting!) of the filling, roll the tortillas and set seam down in the dish. Continue to fill the tortilla's until the filling is gone or your pan is full. In my case I ran out of room in my pan so I put the remaining filling in a Tupperware to use for a quesadilla filling later in the week!
Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the enchilada's, sprinkle with Mexican Cheese, cover with aluminum foil and place in the oven. Bake for approximately 20 to 30 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling, I like the tops of mine a little crispy so I took the aluminum foil off for the last 5 minutes of baking!
I ate mine with no sides since I had some guacamole while I was cooking! However, you can serve with Mexican rice and have a complete meal that everyone will love.

Mangia!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment