Pages

Thursday, April 5, 2012

Design | How to Make Your Own Headboard

About a year ago I was in the market for a new Headboard seeing as the one I currently had was given too me and was meant for a queen sized bed and I only have a double. So I started my search on Target, Overstock, Walmart and Ikea (which would have meant a drive to Charlotte and somehow figuring out how to get the headboard into my Mini). I had in my mind what I wanted, a tufted black rectangular headboard to go with my black and white sheets. After many endless Google searches I discovered I would be paying close to $300.00 if not more and even then it wouldn't look exactly like I wanted it too. So one rainy weekend I came up with the brilliant idea to make my own headboard and too my surprise it only took about an hour of crafting time!

Supplies
1 Sheet of Plywood
Quilt Batting
Fabric
Thread
Buttons
Staple Gun
Patience

1) Purchase a piece of plywood that is roughly the size of your bed, in my case I did not measure my bed correctly and spent a very long time in Home Depot with the wood department men staring at me with concern and confusion as I Googled on my Blackberry the dimensions of a Full Sized bed ( It's 52' H x 4' W). This honestly took up the most time during the whole project!

2) Cover the piece of plywood with batting, or in my case I bought bags of fake snow because it was on sale and it worked just as well! Lay the batting on the floor and lay your piece of plywood on top. Pull the batting tight to the back of the plywood and staple in place, cut off any excess batting in the back. I also stapled the batting down at random intervals so it would not move when I put the fabric on the top of it.

3) Next your going to cover the batting with your choice of fabric, I choose a solid black fabric that had some stretch too it! Just like you did with the batting lay the plywood on top of the fabric (batting side down). Pull the fabric tight so there are no ripples to the back of the plywood and staple in place with the staple gun, cutting off any excess fabric when you are done.

4) Here's the part I had the most difficulty with, the buttons! I wanted two rows with three buttons in each row so I measured everything out and made small marks on the fabric with a pencil to act as a guide. Then I took the staple gun and stapled at each marking so I would have an anchor for the thread and I could make sure the tufting was even as I went. Next take your buttons ( I used plain black buttons that had a small shin to them) and thread through the staple. I went through a couple times to make sure it was secure!


After I finished with the buttons I went back and pulled on the fabric a little to make sure that the batting was even in all places so it wouldn't look lumpy! The headboard was extremely easy to put together and now I have exactly what I have been looking for!!

Good Luck!




No comments:

Post a Comment