Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Dish | Southern Style Shrimp and Grit

Shrimp and Grits has always been one of those dishes that I've been skeptical about. I think it was more so the grits part then the shrimp part, I just wasn't really a fan of their consistency! However, after moving down to the South where it's a commonly loved dish I couldn't avoid it for long. Throw some shrimp into the mix and I feel head over heels in love! Some may say last summer I developed an obsession since it was all I would order when I went to a restaurant. Below is a recipe I adapted from my Dad, the true food connoisseur!











Ingredients
Grits (I used the prepackaged Cheese Grits from Motts Channel in Wrightsville Beach)
Milk
Heavy Cream
2 Minced Garlic Cloves
Salt
Pepper
1 Medium Onion Chopped
Bacon- yum bacon!
Parmesan Cheese
Cheddar Cheese
and of course Shrimp (also from Motts Channel)!

Directions
Shell and De-vein shrimp- set aside
Cook bacon (the amount is really based on preference) and set aside. Put about a tablespoon of the bacon grease in a saute pan and throw in the chopped onion and garlic, cook until light brown. Add milk and heavy cream and bring to a slow boil, add grits slowly while stirring. Cook approximately 20 minutes or until thick, add cheese and a little bit of butter (I added a little dash of Creole Seasoning too). Cook and add a little more milk if it gets too dry. Cook shrimp in the same pan as the bacon grease with a little butter, I sauteed some tomatoes with the shrimp since I have a tendency to add them to everything.
Combine the bacon with the grits and top off with the shrimp and tomato mixture!

Mangia!

No comments:

Post a Comment